Following the ridiculous case against Carlos Nuno Castel-Branco and Fernando Mbanze on 16 September all charges were dropped and both men were acquitted. However in October Mozambique’s General Prosecutor appealed against the court decision that acquitted the economist and the newspaper editor.
This is both bizarre and worrying. Amnesty International have launched a campaign to drop the appeal.
1) Please write immediately in Portuguese, English or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to immediately withdraw the appeal against Carlos Nuno Castel-Branco and Fernando Mbanze and respect the court’s decision;
- Calling on them to end the practice of harassment and intimidation of people peacefully expressing their views, and to uphold the right to freedom of expression;
- Calling on them to repeal all legislation which unduly limits freedom of expression.
2) For the full Urgent Action, including appeal addresses and further information, please click here.
3) Please keep in touch with us about any response you receive and what you have done.